Translate

Saturday, May 3, 2014

What Is a Fandom?

Hello, dear readers. I was originally going to make this part of another Fandom School post, but the more I thought about it, the more I decided it needed its own post. So here is a mini-class to tell you what a fandom is. (And thanks to Ben O for suggesting the idea.)

According to the dictionary, a fandom is "fans collectively, as of a motion-picture star or a professional game or sport." So in our case, it's a collection of the people who like a certain movie, book, etc. For example, "I write fanfiction for many fandoms, including Doctor Who, Sherlock, and Star Wars." (This is true, by the way. To see a list of my fanfiction stories, check out my profile at fanfiction.net under the username "dolphinz.amazon", or click here to see the page on my blog about it.)

But a fandom is so much more than that. A fandom is a place filled with people who care about you, who get all your fandom references, who enjoy all your fan creations, who understand and accept your craziness, and above all, love the show/movie/book as much as you do. A fandom is a place where a bunch of fangirls, fanboys, and outright crazy people (come on, admit it: we're all a little crazy, especially during hiatus. Sherlock fans, you know what I mean.) get together and have fun.

So, what goes on in a fandom? Here's a basic list:

1. Discussion - any good fandom discusses characters, plot holes, etc.
2. Fan Creations - this includes art, gifs, fanfiction, and fan videos
3. Complaining - mourning the death of characters and/or (depending on the fandom) cursing Moffat
4. Arguing - over which characters are better, which episodes are better, etc.
5. Shipping - romantically pairing different characters with each other
6. Jokes and References - lots and lots of these. For example, "I wanted to become an alien and explore the universe, but then I realized I had to buy a fez first." (That was a Doctor Who reference, for those of you who missed it.)
7. Fun - fandoms are lots and lots of fun!

So, I hope that clears up any confusion about what a fandom is. If you haven't already, I highly recommend joining a fandom.

Ooh, just for fun, let's see how many fandom references I can make!

  1. I'm in a fandom now. Fandoms are cool.
  2. If convenient, join a fandom. If inconvenient, join anyway.
  3. May the fandom be with you.
  4. You're a fanboy, Harry!
  5. A fangirl never exaggerates, nor does she underestimate. She uses precisely the amount of emphasis she means to.
  6. One does not simply join a fandom.
  7. A famous actor: *hears screaming* Fangirls. I bet my life on it.
  8. I tried to write a good post, but it was just a great big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
  9. *knock knock knock* Moffat! *knock knock knock* Moffat! I know you're in there. Stop killing off my favorite characters!
  10. *knock knock knock knock* Sorry, but I don't think you'll be reading this post for much longer. Your song is ending.
  11. The fangirl doesn't choose the fandom, the fandom chooses the fangirl.
  12. *sings* Do you wanna join a fandom? Just turn on the TV. *later* I never see you anymore, come out the door. You love the fandom more than me!
  13. Joining a fandom is highly illogical.
  14. Oh, you like that character? Live long and... oh, never mind. I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. (Wow, two in one!)
Fourteen (or fifteen, depending on how you count it). Not bad! That's all I've got so far. Anyway, have a great day/night/whatever time it is where you are. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment