Translate

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The Once And Future Time Lord (Merlin fanfiction): Chapter 5

Chapters: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Merlin walked into the training grounds and saw Arthur. They hadn't spoken since the change. Arthur had no reason to speak to Merlin, and Merlin couldn't muster the courage to try to rekindle their friendship. 

Merlin watched as Arthur threw daggers at the unfortunate boy walking with the target. Arthur, his Arthur, the real Arthur, wouldn't have been like that. From what Merlin had learned in books, Time Lords were incredibly arrogant. But somehow, by removing his Time Lord essence, Gaius had removed all the elements that made Arthur kind, caring, human. This Arthur was much too mean. The boy dropped the target, and it rolled to Merlin's feet. Merlin put a foot on it so the boy couldn't pick it up. 

"Hey, come on, that's enough," he said.
"What?" Arthur asked incredulously. 
"You've had your fun, my friend."
"Do I know you?"
"Er, I'm Merlin." Merlin held out his hand, cringing inwardly as he remembered that Merlin was a stranger to Arthur now. Their friendship had been erased, all because Uther would not allow magic. 
"So I don't know you." Merlin wanted to tell Arthur all about their past, but he knew he couldn't. 
"No."
"Yet you called me 'friend.'"
"That was my mistake."
"Yes, I think so."
"Yeah. I'd never have a friend who could be such an ass."
"Or I one who could be so stupid." Had this happened a few years ago, it would have been a friendly exchange. Arthur and Merlin were often insulting each other. But now, it  was just an exchange of insults. No friendly intent behind it. The sadness weighed down Merlin's heart more than he cared to think. 
•••
"Gaius?"
"Yes, Merlin?"
"Will I ever be able to bring him back?" Gaius gave a long, heavy sigh. 
"Not until magic is practiced freely in Camelot."
"But..."
"I suppose, when Arthur becomes king, you may tell him. And then, if opportunity arises, you can bring him back."
"If only I could tell him now. I miss him!"
"I know, Merlin. I'm sorry."
•••
A while later, Merlin saw that Arthur's life was in danger, and he used magic to save him. Uther (who Merlin had begun to hate for outlawing magic and forcing Arthur to hide his identity) was full of gratitude, and insisted that he was indebted to Merlin. 

"You saved my boy's life. A debt must be repaid."
"Oh, well..."
"Don't be so modest. You shall be rewarded."
"No, honestly, you don't have to, Your Highness." Merlin wanted nothing to do with Uther, though he would never dare say it. 
"No, absolutely. This merits something quite special."
"Well..."
"You shall be rewarded a position in the royal household. You shall be Prince Arthur's manservant."

Arthur looked equally shocked, disgusted, and horrified. This filled Merlin's heart with anger and sadness. But he was happy, because at least he would once again be close to Arthur. And maybe one day, he would be able to reveal Arthur's true nature, and, for that matter, his own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment