Translate

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The Once And Future Time Lord (Merlin fanfiction): Chapter 2

The second chapter of my story.
Chapters: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

In the space of a year, the two had become close friends, despite their difference in social status. That was why Arthur was surprised when Merlin disappeared suddenly and without warning one day. 

"Gaius?"
"Yes, sire?"
"Have you seen Merlin?"
"He's gone to fetch some herbs. He'll probably be gone all day, maybe longer. They're very rare." Arthur was confused by this. Since they had become friends, Merlin had always taken Arthur with him when he went to fetch herbs. Arthur enjoyed the break from his duties, and Merlin enjoyed the company. Why would he be going alone now?
•••
Merlin rushed into the forest, feeling the power he had been born with surging through him. Normally, he could keep it contained, but every once in a while, it wanted out. Now was one of those times. When he finally reached the clearing, he knew he was safe. He let a powerful wind rage, and he drew up the leaves to form a circle around him. He stretched out his arms and made the trees grow taller. He made a small shrub grow and put sticks and leaves on top of it, then set it all ablaze. When the pile was burnt up, Merlin made the fire into the form of a dragon, which he let roam around (carefully, lest he burn anything). He laughed, reveling in the freedom to unleash his magic. Merlin was just about to start another round, when he heard footsteps. 

"Merlin? Merlin, where are you? You can't go wandering off without me. I'm your best friend! Merlin!" Merlin said nothing, hoping that Arthur would pass by without seeing him. No such luck. "Merlin, there you are. I've been looking for you all day!"
"Go away, Arthur."
"Why? What have I ever done to you?"
"Nothing."
"Then why can't I join you?"
"It's not safe for you here. Go away before you get hurt."
"What do you mean?"
"I said, go away. Leave me alone."
"No!" Arthur stepped forward, and Merlin felt his magic rising up in him. 
"Arthur, no!" he screamed, but it was too late. Power surged out of Merlin, and Arthur was thrown to the floor. Merlin ran up to Arthur. "Are you alright?" Arthur nodded, standing up. 

"What was that?"
"I don't know," Merlin replied. Arthur looked into Merlin's eyes (and maybe it was just a trick of the light, but he could have sworn they were gold). 
"You're lying. What was that?"
"Well, if I had to guess, I would say it was..."
"What? Don't be afraid Merlin, you can tell me anything. We're friends, remember?"
"Anything?" Arthur nodded. "It was... magic. My magic. I have magic." Arthur gasped. Merlin backed away. "Please don't hurt me."
"Why would I hurt you?"
"Your dad would kill me if he found out. He doesn't like sorcerers."
"Well, I am not my father. When I am king, things will be different."
"Promise?"
"I promise."

"Now then, show me some more of this... magic." Arthur whispered the word of the forbidden thing, as if even the word was dangerous.
"Well, I can't really control it yet. Gaius is teaching me. I was born with magic, but I'm still learning how to use it." Merlin caused the trees to thicken and spread, so that the two of them were completely in the dark. Then he made a ball of light to float over his palm. He sent it up to hover above them as a sort of mini-sun. He made it rain, and he made a garden grow up around them, full of beautiful flowers. He let the trees go back to normal, and got rid of the light. He created a waterfall around the two of them. He made a pool beneath them, and caused it to show a vision of Arthur as king, with Merlin by his side.

"You're amazing!"
"Glad someone thinks so, instead of just saying I'll get myself killed," Merlin answered with a wry smile. 
"Do you use magic in Camelot?" Merlin shook his head. 
"Too dangerous. But every now and then, I can't suppress the urge any longer, and then I go here."
"Can I come with you next time?"
"As long as you can come up with a good excuse to leave, sure. And Arthur?"
"Yes, Merlin?"
"No-one must know about this. I'd like to stay alive."
"Of course. Your secret is safe with me." Arthur watched Merlin use his magic for a while longer, then they returned to Camelot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment