Translate

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Fandom School (6th period): Roleplaying, aka RPG

Hooray! It's time for Fandom School again! This weeks topic is roleplaying. Simply put, roleplaying (rp for short) is pretending to be someone else and acting out various scenarios (usually virtually) with other people. Depending on where and how you are roleplaying, you may need to create one profile and stick to it, or you may be able to change characters as you please. Roleplaying is a lot of fun, and it's also a great way to get a good feel for a character before writing a story about them.
Those of you who are particularly observant (hello, Sherlock fandom!) may have noticed that I said "RP", but the title says "RPG". RPG stands for Roleplaying Game, and it refers to games where you roleplay, rather that roleplay conversations carried out on social media (e.g., Google+). There's also LARP, which stands for Live-Action Roleplaying. I've never done it before, but it would be cool to do it some time.

There are typically a few rules in roleplaying:
1. Whatever the creator of the game/post/etc. says. They're in charge.
2. Rp might be open (anyone can join) or closed (between a few specified people). See #1
3. OCs (original characters) may or may not be allowed. See #1.
4. Cursing, hate speech, and profanity is typically discouraged.
5. Usually, there's an unspoken rule for length. Some might be short, and some might be long. See #1.
6. As said earlier, check to see how many profiles you can have. See #1.
7. Stay in character. If you need to be OOC (out of character) for a moment, use double parentheses ((like this. I am out of character right now.)) And now I'm back.
8. For actions, use asterisks. Like this: *waves hi*
9. If you have to go for a while, let the people in the rp know. For example: ((Sorry guys, gotta go. I'll be back tomorrow.))
10. Have fun! :)

So here are my different roleplay communities I'm in, and my profiles for each of them.

Doctor Who Roleplay Center
I change my character in this one. I like to play Donna, the Tenth Doctor, and the Eleventh Doctor, but I might play other characters if I'm in the mood.

Google+'s Fandom Family
This is basically a community where we are a family and we rp. It's fun. This is my profile. The short story is: I'm a Japanese girl named Sakura who's the Eleventh Doctor's clone (like Jenny. She's my half-sister.) I've traveled all over the place. I'm a cheerful, inquisitive person who likes to enjoy Earth's beauty. And this is my room.

You. Are. Divergent.
My name is Violet Verity. I was born Erudite, but I transferred to Candor after the Initiation test showed I was Divergent (Erudite and Candor). I'm smart, trustworthy, and dependable. I can tell if you are lying, and I always want to find out the truth. I have a very strong sense of right and wrong. I prefer to stay out of physical conflicts, but if there is no other choice, I will join the side of the person who I believe is right and defend them. I can sometimes get so caught up in finding the truth that I hurt others. I am also quick to condemn others for their wrong words or deeds. I have a cat named Lynn. To read my whole profile, go here.

So there you have it! I hoped you liked this class. Please comment below and let me know what class I should have at Fandom School next. Thanks! Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment