Translate

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The Leaky Cauldron Irregulars (Harry Potter and Merlin fanfiction): Chapter 4

Chapters: 1 2 3 4 5

"Well, I think I've found him," Merlin announced to the group.
Will put down his book ("The Theory of Everything"), and looked up, surprised. "You sure?"
"He looks like Arthur, and he most definitely acts like Arthur. I'm sure it's him."
"Well then what do you need us for?" Gwen asked.
Merlin thought for a moment. "What about the others? I mean, they might not have memories of their past lives, but they could be here. After all, I found you lot."
Gwaine smiled. "I remember my time with Arthur as a hazy drunk dream."
Gwen shook her head in amusement. "Not surprising, considering you were drunk more than half the time. I for one remember Arthur very clearly. I can't wait to get back together with him," Gwen said, smiling.
"He's only eleven," Freya reminded her.
"I can wait."
"So who's on the hit list again?" Gwaine asked, taking a swig of firewhiskey.
"It's not a hit list," Merlin said, exasperated. "We're trying to find these people, not kill them." He sighed. "Balinor, Hunith, Gaius, Elyan, Lancelot, Leon, Percival, Mithian, and Elena."
"That's a long list," Will commented.
"I'm not going to make it any shorter because every one of those people matters. Now then, let's get to work," he said, standing up. Hannah Abbot watched him out of the corner of her eye, convinced something was going on.
***
"Good morning, Professor Emrys."
"Good to see you, Professor Longbottom."
"Might I speak with you a minute?"
Emrys nodded. "Of course!"

They walked into Longbottom's classroom.
"Herbology? Nice. I apprenticed with a physician once."
"Oh? Great, then you'll know what this is." Longbottom held up a vial.
Emrys didn't recognize it from his studies with Gaius, but he recognized it nonetheless. "Veritaserum? But surely you wouldn't..."
"No, I just wanted to make it clear that I want you to be truthful. I have a few questions for you."
Emrys blanched as if he was back in the time of Camelot and had been accused of sorcery. He swallowed his fear and put on a smile. "Ask away."
"Your teaching methods are... rather advanced."
"Thank you."
"Where did you study?"
Emrys was silent for a moment, considering whether to tell the truth. "I learned by experience."
"So you fought Voldemort?"
Emrys shook his head. "No, but I fought people like him."
Longbottom looked confused by that. "My wife, Hannah, tells me you frequent the Leaky Cauldron."
"Yes, I find it a wonderful place to think."
"About what, if I might ask?"
"You might. I..." Emrys sighed. "You said you wanted the truth, right? I'm just not sure you'll believe me."
Longbottom smiled. "Trust me, I've heard some very strange things."

Emrys laughed. "Ever heard of Merlin?"
"The most powerful wizard in all of history? Of course I know of him."
Emrys nodded. "What would you think if I said..." Emrys took a deep breath. "...that he's still alive?"
Longbottom looked at Emrys in shock. "But... he can't be!"
"I assure you, he is. And he's sitting in this room."
Longbottom stared at Emrys. "But Merlin's supposed to be older?"
Emrys laughed. "I am old. I just don't look it. I can show you how old I really am," he said. "Mind if I use some of your supplies to make a potion?"
Longbottom shrugged his shoulders. "I suppose it can't hurt."

A few minutes later, Emrys drank the completed potion. He was transformed into his old self, and Longbottom stared. "It is you!"
Emrys nodded, drinking the antidote. "And I'm looking for Arthur Pendragon. I miss him. I think he's at this school. You know Arthur Pratt?"
Longbottom nodded, still in shock. "Yeah, bright kid, really cocky, but a decent guy at heart."
"That's my Arthur," Emrys said. "Oh, and don't tell anyone about this conversation. I don't want word to get out of my identity, or I'd never have peace and quiet." Longbottom started to open his mouth. "I suppose you can tell your wife," Emrys conceded. "But no-one else. Understood?"
Longbottom nodded and walked off, marveling at what had just happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment