Translate

Friday, February 20, 2015

The Leaky Cauldron Irregulars (Harry Potter and Merlin fanfiction): Chapter 2

Chapters: 1 2 3 4 5

Merlin sat at a table, eagerly awaiting the boy's approach. After what felt like forever, he saw Albus Severus walking over.
"Find anything?" Merlin asked.
"Maybe," Albus said. "There's this kid. I think his name's Arthur, but I'm not sure. He's really arrogant, but he seems like a nice guy at heart. He also enjoys ordering people around. He says he wants to become a prefect."
"Hm. That might be him. Can you find out more about this kid?"
"Yeah, but I think there's a better way."
"Oh?" Merlin asked, taking a sip of his tea.
"You see, Hogwarts is a little short staffed at the moment. Snape's gone, and the school's had difficulty finding a Defense Against The Dark Arts teacher."
"Who do they have now?"
"Nobody," Albus said simply.
"You mean to tell me students aren't being taught Defense Against The Dark Arts?" Merlin asked incredulously.
"Well, there's not as much need for it now, seeing as Voldemort's dead," Albus pointed out.
"Still, this is something I will not permit." Merlin frowned. "I'll apply for the position. In fact, I'm going to Hogwarts at once. Would you like to come with me?"
Albus shrugged his shoulders. "Sure, I was planning on going there soon anyway."

As they walked onto the grounds, countless students greeted Albus.
"You're very popular here, I see," Merlin commented.
"That's what happens when your dad is the one who defeated Voldemort."
Merlin chuckled. "True. So, where do I go to apply?"
"Well, maybe you should try speaking to the headmaster," Albus suggested.

Albus left Merlin at the door. "Good luck," he said.
"Thanks!"
"I know you'll be a great teacher."
Merlin smiled. "Oh, and if I do end up teaching here, don't tell anyone about our secret, okay? I'll go by another name." Albus nodded solemnly.
"Come in," a woman's voice said.

Merlin did, and shook hands with the headmaster.
"Greetings," the headmaster said, "I'm Professor McGonagall. I mean, headmaster McGonagall. I'm still not used to the new title."
"Of course," Merlin said, nodding politely.
"And who might you be?" she asked.
Merlin thought for a moment. "You may call me Emrys."
"Emrys! Quite a name," McGonagall commented.
"It is my name," Merlin said simply. "Take it or leave it."
"And what brings you here, Mr. Emrys?"
"I'm told you're looking for a Defense Against The Dark Arts professor?"
"We are," McGonagall replied. "The darkest times may be over, but we still need our students to know how to defend themselves."
"I couldn't agree more," Merlin said. "Which is why I'd like to apply for the position."
McGonagall looked hopeful for a moment, then her face regained its stern mask. "Have you any teaching experience, Mr. Emrys?"
"No," Merlin admitted, "but I do have a good deal of experience with the dark arts, and as for the teaching, I'm sure I can manage that well enough. I'm incredibly patient and kind, and I'm good at working with others."
McGonagall nodded, as if taking it all in. "You are aware, of course, of the danger of this position?"
"I'm not sure what you mean," Merlin said.
"Nobody has managed to hold the position for more than a year, Mr. Emrys."
"Well then, I'll have to make it a great year, won't I?" Merlin said, smiling.
"So you still want the position?" McGonagall asked, somewhat surprised.
"If you'll have me," Merlin replied.
"Well, I'll need to administer a diagnostic test to make sure you are fit for the position, but if that goes well, I see no reason why you can't teach at Hogwarts."
"Fantastic!"

The test was so simple, Merlin was concerned about the caliber of the wizards and witches who had held the position before him. The only part that he found difficult was the dementor, but somehow Merlin instinctively knew how to produce a patronus, and so a german shepherd came out of his wand.

"I notice you use a lot of nonverbal spells," McGonagall commented.
"It's what I'm used to," Merlin replied simply. "I'm familiar with the spells you teach at Hogwarts."
"Very well then. Your performance was satisfactory. Welcome to the staff."
***
"I've got a job at Hogwarts now," Merlin informed the group. "I'll be sure to keep you updated."
Will looked up from his book ("The Universe In A Nutshell"). "Sounds good. Want us to keep looking, or do you think you've got the guy?"
"Keep looking, just to be safe." Everyone nodded. "Right, see you all next week. And wish me luck!" They did, and then left (at different times, just to avoid arousing suspicion).

Hannah Abbot, the landlady turned to one of the employees. "Those people seem suspicious to you?" she asked, gesturing at the dispersing group.
"No," the employee said. "Why?"
"Well, it's just that there's always a group of people visiting that customer," she pointed to Merlin, "and they look different, but it's the same number of people each time. Same time, same table. If I didn't know better, I'd say it were some sort of meeting."
"But it's different people every time!"
Hannah nodded. "They could be disguising themselves, though."
"Why would they need to disguise themselves?"
"Why indeed. I think they're up to something." The employee looked skeptical. "Just... keep an eye on them, okay?"
"Whatever you say, boss."

No comments:

Post a Comment