Translate

Monday, December 15, 2014

The Real Father Christmas (Doctor Who fanfiction): Chapter 3

Chapters: 1 2 3

Dear Santa,
I'm probably too old for this, but what the heck, it's not like anyone's gonna stop me. That got the Doctor's attention. He didn't get many adults writing letters to Santa, and he usually tossed them away, but this time, for whatever reason, he decided to keep reading. It's hard to say exactly what I want for Christmas. Then why was this person writing? I'm known as the king of flirting, and I've had lots of relationships, but they never quite seem to work out. I mean, I have fun and all, but it always feels like something's missing. No. The Doctor didn't do relationship advice. His significant others always ended up dying or disappearing or something, so he didn't feel qualified to give advice. He almost threw the letter away, but something compelled him to keep going. All I really want is someone to dance to Glenn Miller with. Wait, Glenn Miller? That sounded familiar. And maybe some mistletoe, too. I know you probably can't help me, but I figured I'd ask just in case. I'm really lonely. Even if you can't get me a date or anything, you could at least find me someone to spend Christmas with. I don't want to be alone.
Jack Harkness

The Doctor did a double take. Jack? No, it couldn't be. Maybe there was another Jack Harkness. The Doctor shook his head. Not likely. Well then, he would just have to give the man what he'd asked for. 
***
Jack Harkness was sitting at the bar, when Glenn Miller's "String of Pearls" began to play. A person waltzed over to say hello. 
"Hey there, doll." Jack turned around to see the Doctor and blushed. "Um, I mean hi, Doctor."
"You know, I don't think I've ever seen you blush," the Doctor commented with a smile. 
Jack shrugged. "So what brings you here?"
"What, I can't just come to see you?" Jack raised his eyebrow. "Fine, I'm here to dance." Jack looked at him quizzically. "With you?"
Jack looked even more confused. "Why in the universe would you do that?"
The Doctor smiled. "You wrote a letter to Santa, did you not?"
Jack blushed again, opening his mouth in shock. "You intercepted Santa's mail? That'll put you on the naughty list for years!" The Doctor laughed uproariously. "What's so funny?"
"I can't be on the naughty list; I write the naughty list! And it's my job to read Santa's mail; I am Santa!"
"You're kidding me!"
"Nope!" the Doctor said with a cheerful smile. "Now then, how about that dance?"

They danced to that song and many others, all by Glenn Miller. "How did you get all those on the playlist?"
The Doctor shrugged. "The DJ owes me a favor." When the songs were over, the Doctor gave Jack a mischievous look. "Now then, I believe you requested mistletoe?"
"You don't have to..."
"Ah, but I know you want me to. Don't think I don't notice. I can't say I reciprocate; I love Rose. All the same, I figure you deserve a kiss under the mistletoe."
"You'd do that for me?"
"Just this once," the Doctor said sternly. He pulled a sprig of mistletoe out from his jacket, and they kissed. It wasn't particularly long or passionate, but Jack loved it all the same. It was sad he knew he never had a chance, but at least he got this. 

"So, I understand you're free this Christmas?" Jack nodded. "Well then, I know just the place to take you to."

After eating Christmas dinner at a wonderful restaurant Jack had never been to, they went to a live Glenn Miller concert. "That's the beauty of a time machine: you can experience the past."
"Is that how you do it all in one night?" The Doctor nodded. 

"Oh, I almost forgot," he said before he dropped Jack off. He pulled out a neatly wrapped present. 
"But the dance was my present!"
"Well, you get another. Go on, open it!"
Jack ripped open the present with all the eagerness of a child, but he grew confused when he saw what was inside. "But I already have a vortex manipulator."
"Not one like this, you don't. I enhanced it with Time Lord technology. Makes for a smoother ride. It's also more accurate about getting you where it's supposed to. Though I modeled it on the TARDIS, so I'm actually not sure about that last one." They laughed. "Anyway, enjoy the gift. And have a merry Christmas!"
"You, too," Jack said, smiling as he walked away. Some days, Santa really loved his job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment