Translate

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Channel 5 (Merlin fanfiction): Chapter 14

Chapters: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Arthur opened his eyes and looked at Merlin, who was still sleeping. The gentle rise and fall of Merlin's chest and the peaceful smile on his face made him look like an angel who was resting in Heaven. Arthur watched for a little while, then kissed Merlin on the forehead. Merlin smiled, his eyes still closed. Arthur kissed Merlin's neck, slowly making his way up to Merlin's lips, which he also kissed. Merlin opened his eyes and lazily sat up, wrapping his arms around Arthur.
"I could get used to waking up like this."
"I bet you could." They shared a look of contentment and adoration.

The moment was broken by Gwaine's shouts. "Arthur, what did you do?!"
"Hey, I helped!" Merlin insisted. Gwaine stormed in. His grey hair looked rather sticky. The smell of maple syrup was overpowered by the stench of rotten eggs. His lips looked chapped and nasty, with flecks of white on them, and they were pressed tight in anger - or maybe they were stuck together; it was hard to tell. His face looked oily and slightly orange, and the faint scent of pumpkin could be detected. Said face was scrunched up in frustration as Gwaine glared at the both of them.
Arthur laughed. "That's what happens when you mess with me."
Merlin smiled. "Just because we got together doesn't mean we're happy about being set up. Have you talked to Gwen yet?"
"No, why?" Gwaine asked, his features shifting to show apprehension and concern.
"You'll see," Merlin replied mysteriously, a mischievous smile on his face.
"Now then, if you don't mind, Merlin and I have places to be," Arthur said, pulling Merlin close to him.
Merlin looked into Arthur's clear blue eyes, mesmerized but also confused. "We do?"
Arthur rolled his eyes. "Yes, you idiot."
"Prat." Merlin punched Arthur lightly.
"Buffoon." Arthur punched him harder.
"Clotpole." Merlin pushed him into the bed.
Arthur rolled his eyes. "Let's get going, Merlin." He got up and brushed off his clothes, as if Merlin had left dirt on him with his words.
"Ha! You've run out of insults, you turnip head!"
"And you haven't." Arthur smiled.
Merlin smiled back. "I don't think I ever will."
Arthur raised his eyebrows. "I'll have to test you on that some time. For now, let's go." Finally, they did, with Gwaine yelling and swearing that he would have revenge.

"Where are we going?" Merlin asked, looking at his surroundings as if that would give him a clue.
"It's a secret," Arthr replied conspiratorially.
"But I must know!" Merlin was practically jumping in his seat.
"You will, but not just yet. Have patience, Merlin." Merlin sighed.

They drove increasingly farther away from the city, and Merlin gave Arthur increasingly confused looks. Merlin remained silent, knowing that further questioning would be futile. He watched as buildings disappeared, to be replaced by... trees? They finally stopped at an entrance to a forest.
"Really, Arthur?" Merlin crossed his arms as if to say 'I expected better than this from you, of all people'.
"This isn't our final destination," Arthur replied with a smile. "I don't know how to drive a car in a forest without destroying at least one of the two, so we'll have to take the rest of our journey on foot."
Merlin laughed and nodded. "Alright then. Take me to this wonderful place." Arthur nodded, pulling a basket out of the car. "Are we having a picnic?" Arthur nodded. "Now I know it's going to be good," Merlin said with a smile.

After hours (it had only been minutes) of trekking through the forest, they reached a small clearing with a waterfall that fed into a lake. Merlin's eyes widened. "This is beautiful."
"It's my secret hideaway," he whispered with a smile. 
"You mean no-one else has been here?"
"Not that I know of. Just you and me." They smiled. Merlin saw a rock just underneath the waterfall. He gave Arthur a questioning look, as if asking for permission. Arthur nodded encouragingly. Merlin waded into the water and sat on the rock, letting the water wash over him.

Arthur stared at Merlin with a mixture of desire and adoration. 
"What?"
"You look absolutely gorgeous when you're wet, Merlin."
"And I don't usually?" Merlin asked with a cheeky smile, water dripping down from his face as he spoke. 
"You always look great, but you look especially adorable when you're covered in water." Merlin smiled, and then he got a wonderful twinkle in his eyes. "Uh-oh. I'm pretty sure that's a 'I'm about to do something bad to Arthur and I'm relishing the thought' look."
"Of course!" Merlin said with a smile before pushing Arthur into the water. 
"You'll pay for that!" Arthur yelled with a mock anger that his broad smile belied.  Arthur dumped Merlin into the water, even though Merlin was already wet. They splashed around in the water for a while, until they got tired and sat on the grassy banks of the lake. 

"My shirt is soaked," Arthur complained. 
"Take it off, then," Merlin suggested nonchalantly. Arthur raised his eyebrows, but did as Merlin suggested. He then reached towards Merlin. "What are you doing?" Merlin reflectively moved back a little. 
"Come on, it wouldn't be fair to have me be the only shirtless one." Arthur succeeded in pulling off Merlin's shirt, and Merlin just rolled his eyes. They proceeded to eat the picnic Arthur had prepared. 
"Where did you get all this?"
"Nicked it from the kitchens at my father's house."
"Kitchens? Plural?" Merlin stared at Arthur in a mixture of amazement and awe. 
"It's a big house. Father is so rich, we're practically royalty."
"Why don't you live with him then? I mean, your flat's nice and all, but it's no mansion." Merlin got a faraway look, imagining what it would be like to live in a mansion. 
"I needed my space. Being in Uther's shadow was bad enough; I didn't need to be in his house, too. It was also about proving that I could make it on my own, that I could provide for my own housing and food and all that." Arthur sounded a little like he was trying to prove himself to Merlin as well. 
"But you still work at his company," Merlin pointed out, confused. 
"Currently. But I'd like to start my own company," Arthur answered, a hint of pride in his tone. 
"I can just picture it: 'Royal Prat Lawyers'," Merlin joked, spreading his arms. 
"Shut up!" Arthur punched Merlin's arm playfully. Merlin punched him back, an infectious smile creeping across his face. They continued to eat, exchanging jokes and insults. 

"So you said this was your secret hideaway. When do you come here?"
"Any time I need to get away from responsibilities. Or my father. The two are usually related. I've been known to take a day off to go here for some alone time." Arthur got nostalgic about all the great times he'd had in this secret hideaway. 
"And you've never brought anyone else with you?"
Arthur shook his head. "This is very special and private. It's like my heart and soul."
"I'm honored," Merlin said, awed. They lay next to each other on the grass, eyes gazing up at the clear, sunny sky. 

It was Merlin who broke the silence first. "When are you going to tell him?" Arthur pretended not to hear. "He'll find out eventually. It'll be better if he finds out from us."
That got Arthur's attention. "Us?" He sat up and looked at Merlin. 
Merlin sat up, too. "Uther doesn't sound like the sort of man I'd want to leave you alone with to deliver news like that," he said, sounding more than a little scared of the man who could intimidate Arthur. 
"And he's not the sort of man whose wrath I'd want you to be on the receiving end of," Arthur replied firmly. 
"Aw, you're so sweet." Merlin kissed Arthur on the nose. Arthur smiled, then chuckled. "What?"
"We sure do kiss a lot."
"That's because you're so good at it," Merlin smiled, moving in for another kiss. 
"You, too."
"You're my king," Merlin said affectionately. 
"If we're going by names, that would make you my... wizard? manservant?" 
"How about your consort?"
"Hm... Maybe." Arthur was silent for a moment. "No, I've got it! You're my queen!"
"But I'm not a girl!"
"Man or woman, you're still my queen." Merlin sighed and shook his head in defeat. 

"I wish we could stay here forever," Merlin sighed. 
"Me, too." Arthur smiled. "Say, didn't you tell me you were an artist?" Merlin nodded. "Can you draw me something?"
"For you, sire, anything." Merlin thought for a moment. "Do you have any paper?" Arthur rummaged through the picnic basket to find a sketchbook and a pencil. "You planned for this, didn't you?"
"Maybe..." Arthur said sheepishly. Merlin took the drawing materials and began his sketch. His movements were fluid. Arthur could see how Merlin poured his emotions into his work, and it fascinated him. It was a marriage of pencil and paper, facilitated by the artist. 

A while later, Merlin took the pencil off the paper. "All done!" he said with a smile. Arthur took the paper to see a beautiful sketch of himself lying on the ground, eyes closed, a serene smile on his face. "Have you ever considered becoming a model?"
Arthur smiled. "That's what I'll do if the lawyer business falls through." They laughed at that. Arthur noticed Merlin had picked up the pencil again. "What are you drawing now?"
Merlin gestured to the scenery. "I wouldn't want to forget this moment." Arthur nodded in understanding. "Of course, whatever I draw still won't quite do it justice."
"True. But you have your memories. And you have me." Merlin smiled. 

"Have a nice honeymoon?" Gwaine asked when they arrived at Arthur's flat, hand in hand. Arthur rolled his eyes. 
"We're not even married yet!" Merlin protested. 
"Yet?" Gwaine noted, a smirk creeping across his face. "This one's a keeper," he said to Arthur. 
"Pay no attention to Gwaine; he doesn't know what he's talking about," Arthur insisted in an exasperated tone. 
"Oh? So you don't think I'm a keeper?" Merlin asked in mock disappointment, stepping back from Athur and letting go of his hand.  
"Okay, so maybe he's right about that," Arthur admitted, pulling Merlin back towards him. 
"Good, because I certainly think you're a keeper," Merlin said with pride. 
"If only my father were that easy to persuade," Arthur sighed, his expression becoming somber. 
"We'll convince him, don't worry," Merlin said, looking into Arthur's eyes with determination. 
Arthur gave a weak smile. "Tell you what, if we're still together after a week - which I certainly hope we'll be - we'll tell Father. Together."
"Deal."
"Seal it with a kiss?" Arthur asked. Merlin nodded and kissed Arthur. 
"Get a room, you two," Gwaine said, rolling his eyes. They sighed and went to Arthur's bedroom. 

"Sounds like you've got yourself quite the man," Gwen replied, sitting on the couch in her newly restored room. Merlin nodded. "Fancy a double date with me and Lance tomorrow?" 
Merlin smiled. "Of course. It seems I can't go a day without seeing Arthur."
"Ah yes, I remember that stage."
"Wait, you mean it doesn't last forever?"
"No, but then it blossoms into a beautiful, loyal, patient love. It's still love, just stronger."
"I don't know that my love could get any stronger; my heart is already bursting."
"You'd be surprised," Gwen noted sagely.

Arthur was on the phone. "Hi, Elena... Yeah, I know it's been a while, sorry about that... Yes I did, you were right all along... Of course he's an amazing guy! I wouldn't settle for anything less... Messy black hair, beautiful smile, just all-around gorgeous... Yes, he's got a personality, too. He's smart, cheeky, kind - he's got it all... Thank you. So have you found anyone? You came out ages ago, but last time we talked, you were still single... Oh, you did? What's her name?... Well, send Mithian my love... Yes, of course I'll send Merlin your love... You want a double-date? When?... Tommorrow sounds fine... See you then. Bye!" As soon as he hung up, his phone rang again. Arthur looked at the picture of Merlin with his adorable smile, and Arthur's felt his heart surge as he formed a smile of his own. 

"Hello, my queen?"
"I thought we'd gone over this, sire."
"Oh fine, Merlin. Way to be a killjoy."
"Apologies, my lord. I did not mean to interrupt your fun. My goal is to serve you." Arthur rolled his eyes, then remembered that Merlin couldn't see him, so he sighed. 
"What did you call for, Merlin?"
"I was thinking maybe we could go out for a date tomorrow? Well, a double date. Gwen and Lance invited us." Arthur laughed uproariously. "What? What's so funny?"
"Elena and Mithian invited us to a double date tomorrow. It'll be a double double date!"
"Wouldn't that be a quadriple date?"
"No, that would be four couples at once. Come on, Merlin!"
"Hm, I guess it could work. Elena and Mithian for lunch, Gwen and Lance for dinner?"
"Sounds good to me."
"See you then."
"You can count on it, Merlin." Arthur hung up and looked at the ceiling with an idiotic smile on his face. He was in love, and it was wonderful. At the same time, Merlin looked up at the ceiling with a similar smile on his face. It seems the two were, indeed, destined for each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment